Thursday, July 12, 2007

Closest Book Meme

Continuing my literary theme from yesterday, I thought I'd pick up the "closest book meme" that's been circulating recently. Thanks to Doc Thelma for the original post.

The game:
1. Grab the nearest book to you.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next 4 sentences on your blog along with these instructions.
5. Don't you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.

From Rick Smith's Conscious Classroom Management: Unlocking the Secrets of Great Teaching comes the following
As a matter of fact, much of the information will come to you naturally, even if
you don't go looking for it.
Ah, ha! I have been spoken to, not exactly from above I guess, move like from "beside" since I pulled this off the top of my desk. Now, on it's face, Rick Smith's book is a great resource for teachers, all about setting up effective classroom procedures, designing lessons that keep students engaged, and dealing with student behavior issues that arise in spite of the first two items. But I took the sentence above as more of a sign relating to my current transitional phase as far as work is concerned.

My new position will involve working in some areas that are new to me, and I've been focusing on upping my knowledge in those areas as well as on reassuring those who'll now be working for me of my competence. Honestly, I don't even think that my competence is what's in question, just that they need a little reassurance that I'll be understanding of their daily challenges. If the past week or so since my appointment became public are any indication, I believe that the information I need will come to me naturally. People are coming out of the woodwork to share information with me. Now, I just need to process and fit all this new information into my own scope of reference. In all respect to Mr. Smith, I'll also say that I'll be doing a little fact-finding of my own as well.

August 1st, my transition date, is speeding toward me faster than I can believe. Tonight, I'm going to stay late at work and do some packing. I have a quick Junior League meeting this evening, and then Adventure Guy and I are going to see the new Harry Potter movie. I'm trying to relax and enjoy this process as much as possible, and the movie should be a nice distraction.

No comments: