Wednesday, March 14, 2007

100 Book Meme

I borrowed this from Doc Thelma. Reading has been a lifelong passion for me. Reviewing all the books that I've read below makes me all happy inside!

Bold means you've read this book
Italics means you haven't read it, but would like to.
Plain text means you haven't heard of it or have no real interest.

1. The DaVinci Code (Dan Brown)
I love conspiracy theory books even if I don't often buy in to the theories themselves!
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
Read it in high school. I have friends who are obsessed with this book so I have to be at least moderately well-versed in order to speak with them.
3. To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
This book meant a lot to me when I read it as a teenager growing up in the south. It meant even more to me when I taught it to my 9th graders, many of whom told me it was the first "real" book they'd ever read and enjoyed.
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
Both my grandparents and my parents saw the movie early on in their dating careers. Adventure Guy and I missed out on that experience, but no way would I miss out on the book.
5. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (Tolkien)
I dislike the fantasy genre as a whole.
6. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers(Tolkien)
7. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Tolkien)
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
I don't know how I missed this one as a child.
9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Rowling)
The exception that proves the rule for me on the fantasy genre. I love Harry Potter!
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown)
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Rowling)
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving)
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)

I couldn't put this book down. Yet another example of the book far exceeding the movie.
16. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (Rowling)
17. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18. The Stand (Stephen King)
I've never read a Stephen King novel.
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Rowling)
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
21. The Hobbit (Tolkien)

I tried; I really did! It's unusual for me not to finish a book, but I put this one down after reading about 1/4 of it.
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger)
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
Everyone who has read this one tells me it's great, but I haven't gotten around to it.
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams)
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
28. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis)
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)
31. Dune (Frank Herbert)
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)
34. 1984 (George Orwell)
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley)
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett)
One of my favorites. Ken Follett varies so much in his writing, but this one is great.
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)

Beautifully written with an intriguing plot. One of my favorites.
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho)
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
The sex scenes were a bit eye opening for me as a pretty innocent high schooler.
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
45. The Bible
46. Anna Karenina (Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Dickens)
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations (Dickens)
What To Kill a Mockingbird was to positive teaching experiences, Great Expectations was to negative ones. A student review at the end of the year: "They should have burned Great Expectations along with Mrs. Havisham in the fire."
55. The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald)
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)

High school again. This so appealed to my romantic side!
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrew Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
63. War and Peace (Tolstoy)

Yes, I really read it.
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice)
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Ann Brashares)
Swim Chick and I have read this entire series. It makes you remember what being a teenager was like.
68. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
69. Les Miserables (Hugo)
70. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)
71. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding)
72. Love in the Time of Cholera (Marquez)
73. Shogun (James Clavell)
High school. Summer. Sunbathing. Shogun!
74. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
75. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
76. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
77. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
78. The World According to Garp (John Irving)
79. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
80. Charlotte's Web (E.B. White)
81. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
82. Of Mice And Men (Steinbeck)
83. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier)
84. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
85. Emma (Jane Austen)
86. Watership Down(Richard Adams)
87. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley)
88. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
89. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
90. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
91. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)
92. Lord of the Flies (Golding)
93. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)

We still teach this one in World Literature. I still hate it.
94. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
Sue Monk Kidd is a friend of my aunt. They both used to write often for Guideposts magazine. I liked this much better than The Mermaid Chair.
95. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
96. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)
97. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
98. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
99. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
100. Ulysses (James Joyce)

So from a brief analysis it looks like I do well on the classics and popular fiction and not as strongly on more recent "literary" stuff, particularly non-western titles.

No comments: