Sunday, January 21, 2007

It's Over

My unscheduled vacation seems determined to come to an end tomorrow. The predicted 4-7 inches of snow never materialized, the temperature hovered at about 33 degrees yesterday turning that snow into rain and melting much of the remaining ice on the roads. I'm happy, really I am...but I'll admit, it was rather nice while it lasted other than Swim Chick's fall on the ice. She's feeling much better and is currently out shopping with Grandma for birthday gifts.

This weekend has been a nice mix of laziness and getting some tasks accomplished. On Friday night we got an invitation to visit some friends for dinner and cards. When our kids were little and our friends were still childless, they would often come by for dinner and canasta or Wizard on the weekend. Now, our kids are older, and we're much more mobile, but they have three little ones and another on the way. It's been forever since we've gotten together for an evening like that, primarily because of our kids' various sports commitments. It was a fun night, even though the guys continued their winning streak at canasta. I'm sure that's just a fluke and has nothing to do with actual skill!

Yesterday I did a few things around the house. It felt good to actually get some work done even though I had put it off for so long. Then, we watched some basketball, and I worked on my latest cross stitch project. Adventure Guy also made his famous chili for dinner. It's adapted from a recipe in The Congressional Club Cookbook, but he's made it his own. Warning, this one is hot!

Deer Camp Chili

2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 Tbs. cooking oil
3 lbs. ground meat (beef, venison, or a combination of the two)
1 16 oz. can tomato sauce
16 oz. beer
8 Tbs. chili power
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
2 Tbs. cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
2 Tbs. corn meal
kidney beans (optional)

Saute onions and garlic in cooking oil until onions are transparent. Add meat and cook until a gray color. Add tomato sauce, beer and half the spices and peppers. Cook in a deep, covered kettle for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add remaining spices and cook another hour. If jalapeno peppers are too hot, do not add remaining half. Corn meal should be added last to thicken liquid. Continue cooking until thick. Serve with beans, cheddar cheese, and Fritos. Makes 8 servings.

Today I slept since all the Sunday school and other church events except the 11:00 service had been cancelled in anticipation of the snow that didn't arrive. I then went to see The Holiday with one of my friends. I'd been wanting to see it but just hadn't gotten around to it. I loved it. Cameron Diaz and Jude Law make a great couple, and I enjoyed seeing Jack Black in a more serious role. Once I got back from the movie, I did some more cleaning and then we went out for pizza. I guess now all there is to do is finish proofing the course planning guide for next year, a project I have successfully postponed all week but which must be done so that I can send it to the printer tomorrow.

No comments: