Tuesday, December 12, 2006

When I signed on to Google this morning, I noted the unique picture for the day. I hadn't done any research, but I later read that it was in commemoration of the artist, Edvard Munch's, birthday on December 12. If I had only known it was foreshadowing for what was to come.

Today was one of those days that just makes me want to scream. I had meetings scheduled from 7:45 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with no break. My 1:30 meeting was pretty casual, so I ended up eating my lunch while that one was going on. The afternoon meeting from 2:45-5:30 p.m. was one of those that I'm expected to attend to show support for some district curriculum alignment initiatives, but in which I don't have a large role. I serve as cheerleader and some times task master, but it's hard to keep from thinking about all the work piling up back in the office while I'm tied up literally all day long.

At 5:30 I rushed over to vote in our school bond issue election (it passed, yea!) and then home to pick up Swim Chick for her orchestra concert. I dropped her off at our school's performing arts center, went to meet with one of the other assistant principals who was still at work, and then went to meet the rest of the family at the concert. The 7th grade orchestra played beautifully. It's hard to believe all these students were beginners last year. I am very proud of Swim Chick and her progress on the cello. It's really impressive to hear all the levels since this December concert involves students from sixth grade through high school. This is also an occasion when I can fulfill both mom and principal roles, since I was able to visit with some of my high school students after the concert and tell them how much I enjoyed their performance.

It was now 8:30, and no one had had dinner. Swim Chick, Gym Girl and I went to Sonic, evidently along with half of the crowd from the orchestra concert. After a looong wait for that oh so healthy meal, we were on our way home to eat and deliver the food to Soccer Boy. Did I just write a post about eating healthier and using Super Suppers? Oh yes, I did. Okay, we'll be having one of those meals Thursday night.

When we got home, I went upstairs to the computer room to get on some of my Junior League stuff for Wednesday night. My committee is presenting the results of our work since August tomorrow night. No stress there, or anything. I'm in the middle of that and taking a related phone call when Adventure Guy and Swim Chick arrive in the room. Neither is happy. At all. Swim Chick is having trouble with her Algebra assignment but can't tell Adventure Guy exactly what she doesn't understand. He is frustrated, and she is crying. I get off the phone, we go downstairs, and I work with her to explain the concept. Adventure Guy takes a deep breath and comes back to help also. She gets it, and goes to bed. At 11:30, the day is finally over. I can't say I'll miss this one.

No comments: