Monday, December 25, 2006

Proof!

Just didn't want anyone to think that I hadn't come through on my promise of decorating cookies with the kids! I feel so accomplished. This is one of those traditions that they really love but that often leaves me feeling more than a bit frazzled. I broke up the process this year by making the actual cookies on Friday but not making the icing and having them do the decorating process until Christmas Eve. I'd love to say that I managed to complete both those tasks with enjoyment and a full appreciation of the holiday at hand, but I don't like to lie. Let's see, the cookie making and cutting out session was interrupted by a lovely interaction with Swim Chick who is oh so almost thirteen. My friend with the 3 year old and I have decided that these two ages are really remarkably similar. Something not go exactly your way? A temper tantrum is clearly the answer. The decorating session was admittedly better. The kids had fun, and I did decorate some of the cookies myself after I had recovered from my annoyance about the mess they were making in the process. As Adventure Guy said, "and people call me anal." I'm just usually better at hiding it than he is.

We did have a very nice Christmas. The kids were happy with their Santa presents. Swim Chick got a cute dock for her iPod that is a player as well as an alarm clock. Gym Girl got the new bike we were waiting for; I'm so thankful it made it in on time. Soccer Boy got a compound bow he can use when he and Adventure Guy go hunting and some cool remote control helicopters. Of course, they also got a bunch more stuff, but those are the highlights. We are two Christmas celebrations down with two to go in the next couple of days, so none of them is deprived. We head down to my family's tomorrow, and I am looking forward to seeing everyone.

I received some lovely gifts, but the best one was the least expensive. Adventure Guy made me a CD entitled "Christmas 2006: Songs that Make Me Think About You." It is a combination of some of the songs from when we were first dating in college and some more recent songs. He said he knew I'd been having some rough days lately, and he wanted me to have something to listen to in the car when I needed some cheering up. The one that made me cry when we played the CD on the way to my in-laws house today was Blaine Larsen's That's All I've Got To Say About That. If any of you have a tip as to how to add a music file to a post, I'd love it. I can't figure out how to do it here. Anyway, it's worth a quick search on iTunes to hear the sample.

This got me to thinking a bit about the little things in life that make it worthwhile and how I often don't take time to appreciate them. So, my early new year's resolution is to try to relax a bit. To stop focusing so much on making everything perfect that I miss out on how good my life really is. Besides, perfection would get boring in the the long run. Yes, (she repeats to herself) perfection would be boring in the long run!

Okay, I'm off to make a pecan pie to take to my mother's tomorrow. I have the perfect recipe. Oh, wait, maybe slightly imperfect will be good enough. I'm going to have to really work on this resolution thing!

2 comments:

BunnyBubblette said...

What a relief that you admitted that you don't especially enjoy baking Christmas cookies! I thought I was some kind of freak. I don't especially enjoy cooking or baking in general. My mother didn't either. I guess it's genetic.

Alto2 said...

Martha Stewart has us all running in circles trying to make holidays perfect and memorable. They should be about family and fun and love. Please tell Adventure Guy that I am so impressed with his thoughtful gift of music. I'll figure out how to add a sound link for you.