Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas Eve


I've decided I like having Christmas Eve on the weekend. It seems less chaotic somehow. We attended church this morning, and I don't think we'll go back for an evening service unless I get motivated to go the the 11:00 p.m. service. Christmas Eve is our time with just the immediate family. It makes me happy to know that we've developed family traditions that my children really look forward to each year. We always have beef fondue, broccoli and cheese casserole, twice-baked potatoes, and rolls for dinner. The kids love fondue and the novelty of cooking their own meal at the table. Once dinner is over, they open their one present from us, which is always new pajamas. They then change into said new pajamas and snuggle up on the couch with Adventure Guy to watch It's A Wonderful Life, his favorite movie for the holidays. I make hot chocolate and serve Christmas cookies, and we all enjoy a nice fire in the fireplace.

On Christmas morning Adventure Guy's mom and step dad join us for the kids to get their Santa presents. I serve breakfast strata, cream cheese danish, and fruit. Then we head over to meet up with the rest of Adventure Guy's extended family at his mom's house. We'll go to my hometown on the 26th. My sister and her family live there, as do my parents and grandmother. My brother and sister-in-law will come in from California that day too. So, our celebrating is really just beginning today.
Tradition and family are always important to me, but I'm reminded of it much more this time of year. The ornament in the picture is one of the collection we have that was passed down to us by my mother-in-law. They were handmade by a friend of the family who was a surrogate grandmother to Adventure Guy. My children were very young when she passed away a few years ago, but every Christmas when we open the ornament boxes and decorate the tree, they ask about these special ornaments, and we tell them about the wonderful lady who made them. This year, we called her son to let him know that his mother's handiwork was being appreciated by another generation. So, for those of you celebrating Christmas tonight and tomorrow, enjoy the time with family and friends. My hope is that you all will create lasting memories for yourselves and your children.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If your kids love fondue I am sure they'd also like raclette. They would make their little meals in a tiny pan and can then watch the cheese melt over it.