Saturday, December 9, 2006

Lucky

How lucky are we that we
Have lights so that we can see
All though the day is done
--Barenaked Ladies "Hanukkah Blessings"

The kids and I have been enjoying our Barenaked Ladies holiday CD recently in the car. It has a mix of both Christmas and Hanukkah songs. I've been thinking of the one above in particular. During this season where it's awfully tempting to think about what we want, I wanted to take a moment to think about all of the things that I'm blessed to already have.

So, while I know that Thanksgiving has passed this year, here's a list of what I'm thankful for this holiday season.

1. I am thankful for the health of my family and myself, and I've learned not to take this for granted.

2. I'm thankful for Adventure Guy and our marriage. He's a true partner in life and in raising our kids, and, while it sounds like a cliche, he's also my best friend.

3. I am thankful for my children. I am so fortunate to have three great kids who are turning into very interesting people in their own rights.

4. I am thankful for work that is meaningful and challenging and colleagues who are not just co-workers but are also friends.

5. I am thankful for support from friends, both online and locally, who help make my day-to-day life a lot more enjoyable.

Now that the big items are taken care of on my list, here are a few of the little things I'm thankful for as well.

1. I am thankful that all my children can now turn on the television by themselves, eliminating the need for me to get up early on the weekends (unless of course, they have some obscenely early sporting event).

2. I am thankful for good books and the relaxation they provide.

3. I am thankful for cute shoes. They make me happy.

3. I am thankful for chocolate. I think this needs no explanation.

4. And, yes, for those of you who were wondering from yesterday's post, I am thankful for All-American High's latest state championship.

No comments: