Saturday, June 23, 2007

Vacation's All I Ever Wanted

I'm sitting on a deck in the Ozarks, waiting for our freshly-caught trout to be fried, and updating my blog. And to top it off, between yesterday and today, we've caught glimpses of both Gym Girl and Soccer Boy at camp--illicit glimpses stolen while we were out boating on the lake the camp abuts. What more could a girl ask for?

This morning began at 7:00 a.m. when Adventure Guy woke me up and asked me if I wanted to go out fishing with them on the first shift or if I wanted them to let me sleep in and swing back for me later. While I relished the idea of a little extra sleep, I opted to join him and our friends on the boat. I didn't regret it. We're on Lake Taneycomo, which is fed with water pulled off the bottom of Table Rock Lake. Current water temperature? 55 degrees. In the morning, the fog was still hovering over water, and there was a chill in the air. We drove out in the pontoon boat, huddled in sweatshirts, taking in the natural beauty as well as the best haul of fish we've had in several years. The trout have been finicky on recent trips, but today, they were jumping. The guys fished, while the women read and occasionally pitched in on fish netting. I finished one book and two magazines, and I honestly haven't felt this relaxed in a long time.
Here are a few shots from this morning. It's hard to capture the fog drifting over the lake, but it's beautiful. We've had rain showers on and off through the trip, so we've even had moments of fog midday.



We stopped off at Branson Landing for lunch before hopping back on the boat for more fishing and another run by the camp. This time, the boys were all out competing in the track meet. We were able to spot Soccer Boy as he ran his last event, the long-distance race. We were able to see him finish, well ahead of most of the pack. Considering that he is one of the youngest campers there, we were really proud, and I was thrilled to be able to see it.

Tomorrow, we'll get up early and go to camp for our first official activities. I can't wait to hear all about the term from the three of them and to watch the girls' track meet and the boys' swim meet. And we'll be rooting for the kids' camp tribes, the Choctaws and the Kickapoos to win at the final ceremonies on Monday!

No comments: