Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Gray

The sky has given over
its bitterness.
Out of the dark change
all day long
rain falls and falls
as if it would never end.
--William Carlos Williams
It's been raining here forever, and gray is a good way to describe both the weather and my mood today. I'm convinced that the weather is really impacting everyone's mood, both at work and at home. Teachers are feeling the stress of the end of the year, coupled with state-mandated testing that seems never ending this year with the addition of two weeks of field testing on top of the usual testing window. Today I got several complaints from people who don't usually complain, and one very long, detailed complaint from people who do normally complain. And, of course, I'll need to deal with all of them. At home, Adventure Guy is grumpy as well. It seems that several things around the house have chosen this particular moment to break, costing him time and money. He's also leaving town for a business trip tomorrow and knows he'll be behind at work when he gets back, which is not adding to his good mood.

I'm trying to focus on the positive, though. Today I made it to Pilates, which I really enjoy and which has been difficult to fit into my schedule. The gym I go to has added a 7:00 p.m. Tuesday class which actually works with my work hours and my carpooling responsibilities. It does not work with my dinner responsibilities, but I've decided that once a week that is not a problem. I always feel more relaxed and happier when I'm working out, but it's constantly a challenge to fit it in with everything else. I'm also looking forward to Soccer Boy's school music show tomorrow. He has been excited about it for weeks, ever since the teacher assigned parts. Adventure Guy's mom is also attending, so Soccer Boy will be well-represented.

So, with those things in mind, I'm going to take a deep breath, finish watching the Desperate Housewives episode I recorded Sunday, and hope for sunnier days ahead.

No comments: