Monday, March 5, 2007

Day One, Phase One

I've alluded several times now to my plans to focus on getting back on track with my diet and exercise. I've been working up to it (and working through the Girl Scout cookies in the meantime) for a couple of months now. The reality is that I'm not terribly overweight, but I'm not as fit as I'd like to be, especially after a four-month hiatus from the gym. Intellectually, I know that exercise will make me happier in the long run, but somewhere amid the holiday- preparation rush it became that "one more thing" that was going to send me over the edge.

A while back I, along with most of the rest of the free-world if the bestseller list is any indication, purchased Bob Greene's new book The Best Life Diet. I've been reading it here and there as I tried to find the motivation to begin. Today, however, I took the first step, literally and figuratively, and went to the gym before work. My screaming thighs during the treadmill workout were a good indication that this move came none too early. My goal is to feel comfortable in my summer wardrobe by June.

Bob Greene's program has a series of phases, and I'm currently beginning the four-week Phase One. In this phase, I'll be
  • Increasing my activity level
  • Ending all eating at least two hours before bedtime
  • Eating three meals plus at least one snack daily
  • Staying hydrated with at least 8 servings of water per day
  • Eliminating alcohol
  • Taking a daily vitamin supplement

Also in this phase, I'm not actually supposed to worry about cutting back on eating so much as aiming to choose healthy breakfasts and snacks. The idea is to establish good exercise habits and preparing your body for the process of weight loss. I'm also not supposed to weigh again until the conclusion of the four weeks on Phase One. That's going to be a challenge for me, since I'm used to weighing daily. I'll admit that the biggest challenge, though, is going to be drinking enough water. Coke Zero, no problem....water more of an issue!

Now that I've made this goal public, I'm hoping the blog will be a part of keeping my efforts on track. Wish me luck, or even better will power!

1 comment:

Christina said...

I have not purchased Greene's book, but I did see the excerpt in the Oprah mag recently. I am not following the plan, but I did feel the need to clean up my eating/drinking habits recently, not to lose weight, but to reduce cholesterol. However, the side effect has been a loss of 5 lbs that is staying off!
1. Oatmeal with soy milk and blueberries in the morning instead of eggs and potatoes (as if I should not have known that was a problem!) or straight cereal.
2. NO soda. None. Water only and then a sparkling water or juice drink with lunch.
3. Soup + a half sandwich or crackers or small salad for lunch.

No change at dinner. I have never been a big dessert or late night eater so those habits are the same. I am also walking twice a day on the workdays but that is in lieu of the gym so not a real net change in activity. That is all I did, it took really no effort as I have come to love and even crave (in the case of the oatmeal) the new items. Cholesterol is down 30points in 2 months and those 5 surprise pounds are gone.

Good luck to you! You can do it :->