Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Travails of Traveling

We're packing to leave my parents' house, so I thought this was a great time to take a break and do a quick post. Our goal is to leave in an hour, so I have a bit of time. It's amazing the amount of stuff we've collected since we arrived!

Both my brother and sister are having travel difficulties. My sister and her family were planning to go to Santa Fe to visit her husband's brother. My sister and brother-in-law also lived in Santa Fe when they first married, and they were looking forward to taking their kids back there, especially to see the mountains and some snow. Unfortunately, the snow part became a problem. There's a big storm in west Texas and into New Mexico, and they decided it wasn't worth risking the drive. They are planning to head south to San Antonio instead to take the kids to the Alamo, the River Walk, and the zoo. Sea World closes in January, so they think they'll save that for another trip.

My brother and his wife left for their flight to LA right after lunch yesterday. Before they left, they checked on the flight and printed boarding passes. Everything was showing right on time. The only problem was the tornado warning and thunderstorms that came up soon after their departure for the airport. By the time they got to DFW, their flight was cancelled and the airline was telling them they could get them out on New Year's Day. After lots of standing in line, they are booked on a flight tomorrow morning and are currently on stand-by for a flight this morning. My brother says there are a lot of flights going out today, so they expect they'll make it home on one of those by going stand-by. Unfortunately, it's my sister-in-law's birthday, and they had plans for tonight. I'm sure this is not how she expected to spend today.

Fortunately, our drive home looks pretty smooth. It's raining a little here but not enough to cause any major problems. We should be home by early evening.

As you might be able to tell by the geography of my recent posts, I'm a Texas girl by birth, though I no longer live in the state. My brother gave me the perfect gift. It's a make-up compact from Sephora called, "Dallas." The colors include "charge it," "million $ mocha," "daddy's girl," and "rich and famous." I'll enjoy carrying that around in my purse for quick touch ups! But for now, I'll keep my fingers crossed that he makes it out of Dallas before New Year's!

No comments: